Sunday, October 12, 2014

Why Immortals?

Over the years white writing, I have had many comments from different people about my plots, some along the lines of this:  instead of writing about the Admirals, why don't you write a story about a Captain and single ship in the war (ummm this is called Star Trek), your ship sizes are all wrong as a US Naval Destroyer is not the largest ship whereas your destroyers are the biggest, sorry wrong (ummm no, this story does not happen in the US or on Earth at this point).  Those are just some of the things that I have encountered, and others are just so out there, it is not worth mentioning them.
I haven't had too many comments on immortals.  I know that Desperation truly doesn't get across that The Triumvirate Chronicles is really about immortals, but hey, I can't release all to be said at once, and perhaps that is one part where maybe I can be faulted.  But that being said, the story was not initially about immortals, it was a story of the mortals with a few immortals helping out.  Then one day I got thinking about Isaac Asmiov's book series, the three of them and their interconnections.  Savage was originally only 5000 years old, but I had made reference to an old, long forgotten Empire (akin to Earth being a legend in The Foundation Series).  Then while stalled on part of the story, a short story called Creation, which morphed into Genesis appeared.  And before I knew it, I had written the story that blew the whole thing wide open on actual plot lines that I wanted, and the story became about immortals, with the daily lives of mortal intertwined.  It was then I figured I had something:  tell a story about immortals.  Now the challenges about this are many because now I am dealing with the fragile human mind being over 100 000 years old.  What effects does that age on the mind?  I am still working on that, but suffice to say, I succeeded with Lons and Skardo, making them really bad.  But there were 20 mortals turned immortal originally and we only see a handful of them in Desperation.  That is because some, well you will have to read the books.   
But you see, immortals have given me an opportunity to take things to a new level, a level that humans weren't really meant to realistically deal with.  It is like our pets now, cats are easily living over 20 years old, and as a result, we are seeing diseases and changes in them that no one has ever seen.  I get to use my imagination on how would a mass murderer be, a sociopath, a psychopath be after living for so long.  It also lets me take a look at what makes them tick.  In other words, I have to use my full out imagination, and that therein lies the challenge.  For a lot of my writing, I look at my 42 years and how I have changed and extrapolate that, multiply by 100, divide by 1.4 for correction, then add on some quirky things in them and voila, I have immortals that are really old. 
But for the most part, using immortals lets me take pot shots on society as there are certainly lots of morons out there in the world (just look at the news), and it gives me ammunition all the time.  You can see them just roll their eyes as history repeats itself.  But it allows me to get across the boredom that many of them must feel, for in an extended lifetime, I am sure that many of them can truly claim that they have seen it all.  In some ways I paint immortality as a curse; and I know in many ways I would. 
Well this is all for today, time to get to work on some stuff for Genrecon.
Into the unknown.......with the exception of cats

No comments:

Post a Comment