Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Writing Process - Part 7 - Marketing

Marketing has been a big pain in the ass in my opinion for my books, trying to get them out there and to be seen.  I do have some regular reviews, and thanks for that.  I do have options, but it all costs money I do not have right now.  Lulu offers marketing packages, not sure how well they do for an author as I don't have any testimonials, but in the meantime, what I do is free.
First off, I write this blog, where I have been discussing over time, the process of my writing, putting up sneak peaks, and then posting it all over Facebook.  But even keeping people interested in the blog is difficult, and well I need to get all loopy sometime.  I will have something like that coming up soon.
Facebook is a whole other matter as they are just a pain for the most part, the administration that is.  But I can buy some ads quite cheaply there, but then there is the time to design the damned page.  Not to top it off, if you share with too many people, they just get pissed with you.
Amazon is a beast with respect to authors and I don't like dealing with them.  I only put stuff up on it because it is free advertizing.  I can enroll in their special program, but then that limits where I can sell the book.  With Lulu, I at least have more options for print books (I can get the pocket books made, which are most popular at Lulu, but other places are no way), but the pocket books are only advertized on Lulu.  For other books to get out and be listed, I have created 2 versions, one hardcover, 1 softcover and that gets me two slots in the listings around the bookstores.
Of course there is my website, where I do update regularly, and have even set up my own digital store so that as soon as you give me your money, you get a file delivered to you.  It also allows me to instantly have sales on ebooks.
But in discussion with another author the other night, it is apparent it is tough to market.  I have now extended into Twitter (@alexdundass) and do my best to interact on Facebook, but it is damned tough to find the time to properly do it.  I don't want to just be on there advertising, but doing this social media could turn into a full time thing.
The final thing, that is costing me money, but I am making it back, is going to conventions.  I have been to 2 cosplay conventions and have sold stuff, and coming up this weekend is my first sci-fi convention, Genrecon.  This gives me a public face, and lets me meet some fans.  
Well outside of saying marketing is tough, above is what I am doing that is not costing me anything right now at the end of the day, and one has to be patient in waiting for the big break.  Because quite simply no one said this would be easy.
It is an uphill battle...

No comments:

Post a Comment