Wednesday, October 15, 2014

That One Scene....

Many stories have been based on one scene, a scene that gets stuck in your head such that it just circles around in there, driving you insane as you replay it over and over into perfection.  Yes I have had that more than once, hell I am dealing with one right now that is being quite insistent I do something with it. It is quite often that one little scene can lead to an entire book.  The Triumvirate Chronicles honestly started this way, a few scenes stuck in my head for years that ended up as an entire series.  Now that series isn't what I originally imagined, but then no book ever really turns out to be what an author expects I think.  I often treat my books as a living document, which is a term that comes from the GMP world where documents rule how you deal with pharmaceuticals.  The reason I call my books a living document is because my books, and stories are always evolving right up to the final cut.
But not only do I get stuck with scenes in my head, but I've also had dreams (especially after that voodoo gin I drank once).  And with dreams, they are tricky for me, because do I go along for the ride or do I take control of the dream and go where I want it to go?  That is not the  biggest problem with dreams, the biggest problem is that unless you have written down right after waking up, you tend to forget whatever it is you were dreaming, or you remember just that one little scene that haunts you for a couple days.  It then becomes a challenge to just get something written from that, and you never know if it was what the full dream was.
I guess the point of this rambling entry is more or less, the ideas for stories come from many places, and none of them should be dismissed.  Some people are lucky in that they can just sit down and sketch out a story, do all the planning, then go ahead and write it.  That is not for me, often I have quite literally a very small outline in my mind of what the story is and I just sit down and write it.  It is not often where I have a dream that impacts me so much that I must write a story on it.  And that happened to me recently, and indirectly that dream left me with an image in my head, and that image is the last scene of the story.  What is this scene?  Well I am not going to tell you because it is going to take me away from my regular genre of writing into something entirely different for me.  You will have to wait and see, for how long, I don't know.
I had a dream, crazy dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment