Saturday, October 18, 2014

First Day of Genrecon

Well the first day of Genrecon is behind me, and I made the dreaded first sale as I call it, that that first one to get the ball rolling.  I was a panelist for two panels last night, one was on defanging evil guys, and my overall impression really from what was discussed is that authors defang their bad guys cause it is the easy way out.  It can be quite tough to keep the evil flowing from my experience.  But it also comes down to timing on another note because how much do you reveal about characters at a time, and does any of that affect what and who they are.  Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars entirely defangs Vader, even though he is a bad ass in Episode IV.
The second panel was on Lovecraft and was much more relaxed, and it was interesting to just go through and talk about what makes Lovecraft, Lovecraft.  From style of writing, to how he always in all his stories gets the hair up on the back of your neck.  It was quite a good discussion.  Well off to prepare for Day 2.
Me at Genrecon

No comments:

Post a Comment