Tuesday, September 2, 2014

FanExpo 2014 in Toronto

Hi all I've been mostly quiet the past 4 days because I was at FanExpo in Toronto with Ellie Di Julio.   FanExpo was quite the experience from move in until move out.  The first day I unloaded at the loading dock, a monstrosity of a tunnel that traversed 8 storeys underground to a fully enclosed docking area that said if the alarm goes off, better fucking run.  Good old car and truck exhaust.
The setup was pretty quick and easy, and then it was 4 days of trying to sell books.  I did fine, breaking even by the end of it. But as many of the veteran exhibitors pointed out, people just weren't buying this year.  I certainly did come home with less stock though.
The people themselves were very interesting at FanExpo, and often I hear of them referred to as nerds.  Sure there are some there that fit the stereotype, but in seeing the costumes I saw, you could see many put many hours into making the costumes, and the skills behind what they did create are amazing to say the least.  As a scientist in real life, I often do not get to interact with people in thid environment, but I was quite impressed by the costumes.  And many of these people are normal like the rest of us (that is, if you can define normal).  In many ways, the Big Bang Theory has missed the boat on this culture and well I can tell you, not one of those characters on that show would ever be hired on as faculty anywhere, and if they did, the door would be hitting their asses on the way out in a matter of months.  It makes me want to review whether or not I should watch the Big Bang Theory, but then many shows really do not depict scientists quite right either.
In terms of exhibitors around us, we had the best neighbours two rookies at this could ever have. We all had a lot of fun, especially on Saturday as it was pretty much batten down the hatches and don't leave the booth. We were all trading food back and forth, cooling our drinks in one of the coolers that one of the others brought.  I am going to give a shout out to the neighbors, so here goes.
Captain Sam Engstrom held the fort down at the end booth.  She is an artist and illustrator, and her art really did blow me away.  There is a picture she had that I never got a chance to get a copy, so I hope to run into her soon and see if she will do a trade.  Sam was always happy, willing to trade her items for cards (she went home with a good many!!).
Then there was Kurtis Cooper, who was with Altered Earth, which I believe is the name of his series.  Him and his friends were just awesome, and he even let me steel some electrons from him to charge my phone (by the way Kurtis, I saw the reference BoJangles on TV, the one about the three piles of shit, laughed my head off).
Next to Ellie and I was Catherinette Rings, a jeweler who hand makes steam punk jewellery.  It is well made, I even bought a piece for my wife.  There were other exhibitors doing steam punk stuff, but it was all the cheap, import shit that just falls apart.  If you want quality steampunk jewellery, then check him out.  Daniel was a ball as well, with a sense of humour that is in my neighborhood.  Both he and his wife, Catherine, are from Montreal.
Highlights of the show:  I got to tell someone that Darth Vader would shit his pants if he took on my guys, another exhibitor who bought my book on the first day came back all excited about what I wrote.  I was stunned to say the least, to see someone so enthusiastic about what I have written.  I just hope future volumes do not disappoint. 
Finally, this one is for you Kurtis, I told you about a show that you can only watch one episode at a time, otherwise you get a headache.  Here it is man.

Link to video

And finally, but not least at all, a grand thanks to another author who is really great to work with, Ellie Di Julio.  You are an awesome person to share a booth with.  And I cannot forget Megan Fair for helping both of us whenever she can, whether it was passing out cards or standing at our booth attracting visitors. 

Click on the video link and you will understand...maybe




No comments:

Post a Comment