Thursday, September 4, 2014

So you want to write - advice for young authors

Well, after a rough day at work and some gin and tonic, there is nothing better than to sit down and write, doesn't matter if it is an entry in my blog as this is, a short story, part of a novel, or just something silly like the toilet gnome.  This is what I do, and what you would do as a young author will probably be much different.  I am writing this tonight because during the last two cons I was at, I ran into a lot of young authors who were trying, but weren't sure how to do it effectively.
I started writing because I finally convinced myself that I could do it other than in the science world, and that is normally the biggest hurdle.  Having ideas, whether they float around your head for awhile, or you base it on dreams, that is normally the easier part.  It is getting it onto paper as it was when I wrote my first stuff, or now, onto a computer screen.
There are many places out there that can help you, and one of them is Nanowrimo.  Nanowrimo is something I have participated in for a few years now, and the short version is this:  you sign to write 50 000 words in the 30 days of November.  That comes down to 1667 words per day.  You don't have to hit that target everyday, you can go over, under or whatever, and if you don't write that many words in November, you at least tried.  It is a commitment.
Many young authors believe that you need to write that perfect draft the first time.  Hell no, not even close.  I often go through over 6 edits on my material, in part because the first draft gets the key points across, then as I edit, I add in the details that fill out the scenes.  Final edit for me is normally done running my stuff through software to check it for certain things such as spelling consistency, cliches, over use of words and so on.
The environment you work in is also important as it can affect your concentration.  Sometimes it is that you need the exact same environment, i.e. your room, desk, music.  For me it is environmental factors as I can write in front of the TV, at my desk on a different computer, with or without my usual gin and tonic or scotch, or even outside.  You need to discover where you are most functional for this.  And of course time of day is another factor, some of my best writing happens in the middle of the night.
One last thing I suggest, is try to find other people out there, not necessarily your friends around you, but around the country. When I started writing, I was lucky enough to meet many people out there who I am still in touch with after 16 years.  And many of us are now published.  It will often be these people that will give you support more than anything.  And I will do a shout out to all of you out there from the group I started in.
So my best suggestion for all of you is this:  find out what works and keep asking questions of those of us who are there.  I know I wish I had.
I wrote on one of these once......a long time ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment