Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Writing Process - Part 5 - Now I Am Done, What's Next?

Alright, so I am done the editing part, just what in the hell comes after that?  There is quite a lot actually, and sometimes it is very challenging.  Once I do the final check over of the book 10 pages at a time with my software I use, which catches global issues, now comes the time to literally rip all the coding out of the word files and replace it with the stuff in the templates (Lulu as has templates that can be downloaded and used so that the settings are correct).  In preparing the final file, I go to the task of copying stuff out of the original file, put it into word pad so I can do some simple stuff, then back into word.  Normally this gets rids of all of the encoding issues.
But you also have to go through and line up the chapter headings to be on the same line, font size, bold or not, italics, one or two lines etc after the heading.  It is the small shit here that we get into.
Of course, it gets more involved with ebooks, as each chapter has to be set up as a heading 1 (you've seen those in word) and in 2013 I have had to alter the template for that.
This is just the text.  In the past few weeks I have been re-creating the covers for my books, and that involves using high resolution photoshop files to do the work, where in each file, I zoom into the pixel level to line things up, and it is funny how you can find you are off by an entire line of pixels.  And for me right now, making cover pages is all done on the computer as I cannot get my art skills up well enough.
I know that this all sounds short, but in the end, it can be the part of the process that takes the longest.


No comments:

Post a Comment