Saturday, August 16, 2014

Time to Unveil, Drum Roll Please.......

This week has been quite exciting for me writing wise as I have managed to finally get the new cover art onto Desperation.  The cover art for the remaining books will remain quite the same throughout the series, with a degradation of the main focus in the covers.
Designing this was somewhat fun let me say.  First of all, I decided to use LuLu's one page cover designer, which basically gives you a bunch of numbers and the option to load up a single file, in different formats such as pdf, jpg and png.  Good thing that I have Photoshop at my finger tips.  So in reading the directions for the numbers, I figure out the total size of the page (keep in mind, they report it in inches and pixels), and start designing my cover unit by unit.  The width of the back and front was gleaned from the position of the spine. Cue breaking the pocket book down into 3 sections, the front, back and spine, each one a photoshop file saved, and then converted into a high resolution jpg and then plopped onto the one page canvas, zooming in and blowing up to see individual pixels so that the alignment could be done to the pixel.  In photoshop format, with the layers and such, it doesn't take long to generate a file that can be over a gigabyte in size.  The funny part is this:  when you save it to submit it, the dpi is so small, that it converts to a jpg no more than 3 megabytes.
So in the end, I am now left with my new coverpage for Desperation, and of course I had to make it three times over for the different formats of the book that will be available.  So the inspiration for the cover came from the immortals in my series, and it kind of goes back to more classic covers, which I like.  So without further preamble, here it is, the new cover:

This is it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment