Tuesday, July 22, 2014

ConBravo - Part 3 - The Life of Brian....errr What Next?

So, what am I taking away from ConBravo that will help me in the future?  One thing that kept hitting me upside the head was just how the trade paper back edition was selling, while the nice 6x9 edition wasn't.  In reviewing this observation, I made a decision about Book II in that quite simply, even with the novella taken out, I still cannot get Triumvirate into a trade paperback (the limit is 760 pages for publishing in this format).  So that being said, I am pleased to announce that Book II will be called Conquest, while Book III is now Triumvirate, and that the novella will simply not happen as it is being put into Book II.  As for Genesis, I will put it into the trade paperback format as well.
Second, it was hard work selling books there and I couldn't have done it without Megan's kickass go out and pull them into the booth.  There were 4000 attendees, so I did fine with respect to the sales for an indie author.  FanExpo will be 90 000 people, so I hope the sales will go up.  It is possible that Conquest will be ready for it, but I won't rush it, no reason that if it isn't ready I can just announce the date there and I think once people read Desperation, they will come back for more, and honestly, I will likely have book III out around Christmas.
The type of people at the con were also more along the lines of gamers than book readers and that made it tough as well.  But you have to be persistent that is all there is to it.  I was mentally exhausted by the end of it, as well as just damned tired, and here on Tuesday, I am still tired.  The other vendors were good, they would stop and talk to us, and we were right beside the region's largest games seller.  People were friendly from the start. 
So moving forward from here, get some real cover art going, get everything into trade paper back, and also be ready to sell electronic copies.  I found some software that will do all the formats for me.  Just be ready to sell, sell, sell. Hell I might even fully embrace and create Alexander Dundass. 
On a final note, was it all worth it?  Yes it was, I sold books, getting the word out to people out there I exist.  Now I just need to convince all of you to part with your money.
I do want to end with a few thank yous:  Megan, I couldn't have sold what I did without you, and I did learn, and to Ellie Di Julio, the awesome author who agreed to share a table with me. 
The booth at ConBravo 2014.  I really do need a banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment