Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Q and A with Alex Dundass - Part 1

So presented here is an interview with Alex Dundass, with the questions asked by his keeper (yes he has a keeper and only lets Alex out for a few hours in the day, but more time in the evening).

Question 1 - How did you get involved in writing?

Well, this is a big question, so let's see if I can keep it short.  I have wanted to write for years, in the sci-fi genre, and always had tons of ideas, especially after seeing Star Wars in the movie theatres before it became known as Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope.  It was after writing my Masters Thesis (only 100 pages were expected, but I wrote 208), that I realized I could write a book.  So as I was starting my PH.D., I started writing Triumvirate (this was in 1998).  The rest is all written down history now.

Question 2 - How old are you?

I am 42, but my eye doctor will tell you my eyes are closer to 65, while my knees are around 55.

Question 3 - What is your favorite fruit?

This is easy - grapes - but only after they are pressed, fermented and aged and then bottled.  Red or white matters not, I am the alcohol slut.

Question 4 - What is your favourite drink?

Well, I love gin and tonic (5 parts gin, 1 part tonic), scotch (single malt, or whatever I happen to see in my second home, the Liquor Store), wine of course, vodka, tequila, and most kinds of alcohol.  On my liver's days off I drink just club soda.

Question 5 - So you mention you saw the original Star Wars movie in the theatres, what is your take on Episode VII?

Oh god, now you are asking the hard questions, why oh why.  Let me start by saying that I have seen all 6 to date in the movie theaters, as they came out.  When I first saw Darth Vader in IV, you just knew he was badassed, hell he killed his former master (although we didn't fully understand this at the time, not until III), but what Lucas did with II and III, was as Cheech and Chong say about Springsteen in Nice Dreams, he's fucking it all up.  Anakin was portrayed as a victim, when if you go with first impressions in IV, Vader was no fucking victim, he made victims.  It was VI where I was disappointed that Vader came out as a victim.  Real life doesn't have happy endings, Vader shouldn't have had either.  Now with VII, well now that Ford is out for 6 months, they are discussing what to do as apparently he was lead (another bad mistake, let's get new shit going, use the old, but concentrate on the new ones).  And then, we will see Captain Kirk as a Jedi - because Mark Hamill looks more like Bill Shatner than Bill Shatner (check it out, someone swore Shatner was in Criminal minds). 

Question 6 - Do your co-workers know that you write and are now publishing?

Only one of my co-workers actually knows that I exist and am publishing, as does my supervisor.  Both keep it to themselves.

Question 7 - The toilet gnome - what the hell man?  And are the rumors of a sequel true?

Ok, look when you are sitting in a lab, and only getting 3 hours of sleep a night  because you just can't sleep, your mind wanders.  And it really wanders and this is what happens when it does this.  Unlike some of my other writings, I was sober for this (yeah I know quite shocking) and at the end of the day, the toilet gnome is a reflection of my internal creativity (my mind was once described as a maze with many ways in and no way out).  As for a sequel, hell ya, written in 1998, and now in 2014 I am writing the next sequel. hehehehe

Ok enough for now, until Part II comes out.  Perhaps maybe just before Con Bravo

I think this is self explanatory!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment