Monday, June 2, 2014

My Second Job as an Author

So just what is my life like?  I am research scientist by day, and superhero at night, well you get the idea.  I come home, make supper, after a long day at work, where I deal in the world of sample analyses where someone could very well drop a huge chunk of pipe on me for analysis.  Or better yet, something someone threw up, or perhaps even, wait for it, wait for it, hmmm what could it be??? An o-ring!!! Ding, ding, ding you win the prize if you get it.
Life as  a PHD in chemistry, well is in some cases, exciting, while in others, quite boring.  So for instance today, I spent the afternoon of reading standard operating procedures.  Hmm writing at work, boring old writing, and then I go home and either do more editing on my stuff or hell, writing. 
So what am I trying to say here other than that I am completely surrounded by writing, well not much else.  I am also working on covers for my books, but once again work.
Of late, since I decided to go into publishing my writing, my so-called hobby has now turned into a second job.  It is a lot of work to do this stuff, editing can take weeks depending on the size of the novel, and honestly that is the part that takes the longest.  I have written 3 novels in less than 6 months once, getting that first draft down is easy, it is the subsequent work that takes so much time.  Forget the grammar part, it is checking the back referencing to previous stories that is time consuming, making sure person X has blood shot eyes from being a permanent drunk, while person X two books later is an Olympian (it reminds me of a story I was reading once by a good friend of mine, where in the space of 4 pages, his protagonist went from having no weapon and running from rabid large ass wolves, to doing the same thing a few pages later still, but now had a shot gun in hand...I am sure it happens to all of us).
But other challenges that sit ahead are of course marketing, and with the new budget model proposed at the university, I might as well open a brothel as it is currently legal in Canada, and well I can support my day job, and market my books to clients.   I recently asked my colleague if as our facility is revamped to a business model, if we can call it Bordello Laboratories - we'll do anything and anyone!!!  (Keep in mind the bordello would have ladies as well as gentlemen, cater to all!!).  So now I get to do marketing in both my jobs.  Long story short, it seems I am going in circles, but let me assure you I am not.  I am just busy, and well need your dollars, which you can donate to me by graciously buying my books, and those dollars will go towards a good cause (flashbacks to Jim and Tammy now, yeah baby).
Now in closing, perhaps the ultimate reward for me comes down to a few things:  I am writing books and get to say I told you so to the few naysayers out there (they don't have internet, so they will never read this, will you Stuart), but I also get to silence the voices that give rise to my stories.  I am not sure how I ever survived my early years with these voices in my head.

Now challenge:  a free autographed copy to the person who can come up with a catchy slogan for Bordello Laboratories.
Bordello Laboratories Now Open for Business!!

1 comment: