Monday, June 16, 2014

How I Got Involved in Writing to Begin With

How I got involved in writing?  Why did I decide to go into this crazy world of sitting down and typing (at least I didn't do it long hand like Neal Stephenson has done for some of his works)?  It simply comes down to this:  I have a vivid imagination and want to share it with others (although some of you would claim that would be quite scary).
Since about oh Grade 5, when I was a wee lad, I had many ideas for stories, just never had the confidence to get them down.  I tried my first foray into writing the following year by writing on a typewriter, 5 short plays (Ok man, if you read this you know who you are and am sure you remember them).  Of course the years have stripped me of having actual physical copies.
But it would be years later after having stories go through my head that I finally sat down to write a book. It took my Masters degree to do so, as it gave me the confidence that I could write something more than a few pages (it was a long, boring book).  Well as I started my PH.D., I had to write some reports, read lots of papers and so one night I just started writing, writing the chapter that would ultimately be Chapter 9 of Triumvirate, and now possibly Chapter 1 of Triumvirate (weighing some pros and cons here on some stuff).  Now why did I just up and start writing then?  Quite simply, it was a break from all the science stuff I was doing.  It worked out nicely for me.
Nowadays, the writing is a form of therapy for me, allowing me an outlet from my day to day stresses of my day job.  To be able to sit down and let my mind wander on a story line, then write it down in first draft is quite an adventure, as often, and if I get the balls to show first draft Triumvirate, you can see how I take a first draft and evolve it through the ages to get to the final product.  All my books go through this.  I mean when it gets down to it, I still have the last 3 books in first draft.  It should be quite interesting to look back on what I wrote a few years ago, much like it was interesting when I got into interspecies sexual relationships (the up and coming Huntercats and Saba'tah do have that, as do others).  Well time to get back to the day job, there is really nothing special about what got me into writing, rather it gives you, the reader, a look into my mind.  I will perhaps do a segment on the evolution of my writing, pulling in some first draft versus mid draft versus final stage of some of my writing.





Peace of the mind, there is nothing more precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment