Friday, June 13, 2014

Book Covers

Well I am few days late getting this up, but then real life is busy.  I seem to be covering a lot about how I write and do stuff; who the hell knows, it might help some new author out there.  So I am going to talk about how I am choosing my book covers.
Book covers are an interesting thing, for to me, you want to choose something that for the most part, represents something important from you book, but also attracts the reader too.  For instance, when you look at Desperation, this is from the stock used at Lulu.

It does OK, and kind of sets of that yeah, this is a bit desperate here, that this book is not one of these happy endings type books (Note:  none of my books are happy endings per se).   But in designing the cover, you have to be careful.  Some of my favorite covers of all time were books that had hand drawn figures, with landscape and people. One in mind that attracted me to one of my favorite series, the Pelbar Cycle, is the one for the End of the Circle, Book 2.



This is a post apocalyptic series set in the future about a man who takes a journey across a fractured USA that doesn't any longer exist.  The book cover gives me a sense of loneliness, adventure, travel, the fact that it is the future and is hand drawn.  In reality, it supports what the book is about, mood wise.  But it is also handrawn as well.   I entirely, at the time, bought the book for the cover first, then the story second.

So for Desperation, I am working on a new cover, that I hope will be ready for Fan Expo, I still have a bit of things to add to it, but there is the newer version yet to come, and of course, the book will have all the stuff taken care of in terms of typos etc.
 
There are elements missing, but I think it will do OK.  Opinions are always welcome, but I am not going to say what the source of the image is from with respect to a scene in the book.  Y'all need to by the book and read it.  The last bit is a star ship and of course some explosions.  I am certainly not an artist, but am working with one on other covers.  Such fun and my friends wonder why I drink so much.  I keep wondering if I can deduct the alcohol as an expense since often it drives my writing.

Yes my cat does listen to me and talk back!!




No comments:

Post a Comment