Thursday, May 22, 2014

Creation of Characters

Well here we are, yet another blog entry.  I know I promised something on what I hate about my writing, but let's do that when I am writing parts I hate to write, it will be more entertaining for you for sure.  Tonight, let's talk about the creation of characters.
I have had more than one person comment on how nasty Lons and Skardo are in Desperation (subliminal message:  buy Desperation).  Just what went into Lons and Skardo?  Well many bottles of wine were drunk while writing them as it fully releases what my creativity can do (the scene where they are driving down the street just randomly killing for fun was a night where I downed 3 bottles of wine).  When I set out writing these two, I didn't think they would turn out this way, but they did.  I often push the ball with some of my characters, it keeps me happy.  And why not, it doesn't happen enough in creative writing these days.
That being said, I often look at serial criminals, mainly serial killers, for inspiration for some of my villains.  I look at what they did and how they did it and think about how I can spin that in my stories.  And then add in just how someone 110 000 years old, who was already somewhat of questionable personality, is like after all that time and doesn't give a shit how he treats others, you get in part Lons and Skardo.
Add to that, they only care about one thing, and don't care what others think of them.  The creation of Lons and Skardo was easy, but as I work on my new piece, I have come to realize that I need to create 2 new villains.  Just how in the hell am I going to beat Lons and Skardo?  And do I even try?  The one thing I fear is that I may end up with the Jar-Jar Binks of villains, but I will do my best to not do so.
With character creation of course comes character development.  That is a whole other aspect because in that I now have to dream up their entire lives and what key point or points in their lives influenced them to turn out the way they did.  Of course, it gets even more complex if you are using a real person from history, which I do dabble in when it comes to a few bits that no one has seen yet.  One, unless working on an alternate history piece, is obliged to do the research.
So at the end of the day, I really have a much greater appreciation for authors who do an excellent job with the characters and their development, and even a more dim view on those that do not.

I am a victim of bad character development....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment