Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Nanowrimo

So what is Nanowrimo?  Nanowrimo is a contest you could say that starts every November 1 and ends at midnight on November 30 (I actually joked around about offering training to someone at work on November 31, yeah was one of those days).   I have been doing Nanowrimo for 4 years now, and I started because, well someone who was doing it randomly asked me on facebook if I was doing it.  I decided that year why the hell not.  This is now my 4 th year and hoping to make it my 4th successful year in a row. 
I often encourage new or young authors to try it if they are even interested in writing, as for me, one of the roadblocks I had to beat was being able to write something that was novel length (the length of a novel varies depending on opinion, and my guide line is, who the hell cares, just write the story).  Now at the time, I had already written books at this point, but it was fun to try; it took me back to when I wrote the last three books of the Triumvirate Chronicles.  They were all written very close together and in short time.  When we look at writing 50 000 words in November, that breaks down to 1667 words per day, or less than what a good high school essay is.  1667 is what you write per day to hit 50 000 words in 30 days.  When you break that down, that really isn't very much to write.  1000 words for me can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on my mood, and often I have written 5000 words in a day, which if you take 100 000 words for a novel, that is 5% of the novel in one day.  None of the novels I have written for Nanowrimo have actually been published, but rather they are ones that were written for background to other projects, and at some point they will see the light of day.  For the one I am writing this year, it will be one of the first from Nanowrimo to see the light of day as it takes place, in part, between the events described in Desperation and Conquest.  
I would like to encourage all of you potential authors to participate in Nanowrimo, and it doesn't matter if you reach the goal or not, you wrote something.  That is all that matters.
I will leave you with the synopsis of my current project on Nanowrimo, in the raw, for that is what this is all about,  and feel free to add me at uncle_zeo

Shadow Assassins

In the days of the Grand Galactic Empire, specialized assassins called Emperor's Shadows were employed in secret to deal with delicate galactic politics that often required a unique solution.  Bill Pralla, one of the most feared assassins of all time, and Kylara, a rogue Guardian,  are attacked by unknown assassins at the completion of a mission.  To their shock, they learn that the remaining Shadows have been killed, a high probability by these unknown assassins who carry their targets' DNA within them as means of tracking all their victims.  Forced to deal with the remaining assassins, it us up to Pralla and Kylara to defeat them before they attain their ultimate goal:  the death of the Emperor.
Twenty-five thousand years later, within days of the death of Lons and Skardo, William Savage is attacked by one of these assassins while seeking aid for his Thadon radiation poisoning.  Released by Lons and Skardo, Savage quickly figures out who the targets are, but needs to tap into the memories that are locked in his mind from when he was known as Bill Pralla.  Forced to leave his command in the Lonsation sector, it is up to Savage to face these assassins alone, and without his immortal partner, Kylara.




No comments:

Post a Comment